
Dear Else,
We found out that you were going to be joining our world the day after your daddy and I celebrated being married for 4 years. After a few confusing pregnancy tests, on September 18th we went to the Dr's office and received the best news ever! I was about 7 weeks pregnant.
I enjoyed being pregnant more than I know how to explain and more than I ever could have imagined. I am very lucky that you were good to me. I never got sick and never felt too uncomfortable. I thought about you and dreamed of what you would be like every day. I liked that you and I had a secret. You had the hiccups at least once a day and only you and I knew what that felt like. I think you had your butt up in the air for the last 2 months. You would shove it up into my rib cage on my right side. It was annoying, but I liked it. I would just laugh at you and gently push you down. Sometimes I would give you a little talk about staying out of there, but you never listened. Every cramp, or pinch or kick that I experienced is something I will never forget. Thank you for letting me be your cozy home for 9 months.
The time flew by and before we knew it, we were building a room for you, attending baby showers, more Dr appointments and when it got close to the time you were set to arrive, we waited.
Your due date was May 17th. I had been having contractions for a few weeks before this, and your daddy and I even went to the hospital on Mothers Day thinking we were ready to go... but you were not. We went in again 4 days before you were born thinking it was going to be time to meet you, but we were sent home again.
We went in on May 20th for a test to make sure you were doing ok and that my body was still working hard for you. They checked me over and said I was pretty close, but you were still not quite ready to make your appearance. The nurse told us to walk around the hospital for a bit to help things along. We walked for about 30 minutes and when we got back to the room, we were checked in and we knew you would be here very soon. We were finally going to get to meet you!!
Your whole birth day is a blurr to me, but I will try my best to capture what happened.
Things seemed to progress very fast. My body went from 2cm to 7cm in what seemed like 20 minutes (which was probably more like 5 hours). I had the greatest nurse in the world, and your daddy and Grandma Laurie were in the room with me almost every second. Daddy and grandma were there to encourage me and help me get through it, and I remember squeezing your daddy's hand so tight I thought he would never forgive me. Thank God I never went into psycho mode and yelled at him for doing this to me, instead I held on with all of my strength and apologized for hurting his hand. Auntie Becky was in there quite a while towards the end. She was that little voice in the back of my head that kept telling me that I could do it.
Time flew by (or so I thought) and about 13 hours later your stubborn butt, or my stubborn body, just wouldn't let things happen as they should have.
At about 5:00am on May 21st we started to get prepped for a c-section and our families and friends were all sent home to wait. Off we went to the operating room at about 5:15. After some needle poking, table changing, uncontrollable shaking, tears and laughter you were here and handed over to your daddy about 15 minutes later.
You were weighed and measured and cleaned up and when your daddy brought you over for me to look at, I realized that our lives would forever be changed.
As scary as it was to be operated on, I don't remember ever feeling afraid. My fear and sadness of not having the birth the way we planned it was soon forgotten about when you snuggled up into my chest and fell asleep on my shoulder. That was the greatest moment of my life.
We found out that you were going to be joining our world the day after your daddy and I celebrated being married for 4 years. After a few confusing pregnancy tests, on September 18th we went to the Dr's office and received the best news ever! I was about 7 weeks pregnant.
I enjoyed being pregnant more than I know how to explain and more than I ever could have imagined. I am very lucky that you were good to me. I never got sick and never felt too uncomfortable. I thought about you and dreamed of what you would be like every day. I liked that you and I had a secret. You had the hiccups at least once a day and only you and I knew what that felt like. I think you had your butt up in the air for the last 2 months. You would shove it up into my rib cage on my right side. It was annoying, but I liked it. I would just laugh at you and gently push you down. Sometimes I would give you a little talk about staying out of there, but you never listened. Every cramp, or pinch or kick that I experienced is something I will never forget. Thank you for letting me be your cozy home for 9 months.
The time flew by and before we knew it, we were building a room for you, attending baby showers, more Dr appointments and when it got close to the time you were set to arrive, we waited.
Your due date was May 17th. I had been having contractions for a few weeks before this, and your daddy and I even went to the hospital on Mothers Day thinking we were ready to go... but you were not. We went in again 4 days before you were born thinking it was going to be time to meet you, but we were sent home again.
We went in on May 20th for a test to make sure you were doing ok and that my body was still working hard for you. They checked me over and said I was pretty close, but you were still not quite ready to make your appearance. The nurse told us to walk around the hospital for a bit to help things along. We walked for about 30 minutes and when we got back to the room, we were checked in and we knew you would be here very soon. We were finally going to get to meet you!!
Your whole birth day is a blurr to me, but I will try my best to capture what happened.
Things seemed to progress very fast. My body went from 2cm to 7cm in what seemed like 20 minutes (which was probably more like 5 hours). I had the greatest nurse in the world, and your daddy and Grandma Laurie were in the room with me almost every second. Daddy and grandma were there to encourage me and help me get through it, and I remember squeezing your daddy's hand so tight I thought he would never forgive me. Thank God I never went into psycho mode and yelled at him for doing this to me, instead I held on with all of my strength and apologized for hurting his hand. Auntie Becky was in there quite a while towards the end. She was that little voice in the back of my head that kept telling me that I could do it.
Time flew by (or so I thought) and about 13 hours later your stubborn butt, or my stubborn body, just wouldn't let things happen as they should have.
At about 5:00am on May 21st we started to get prepped for a c-section and our families and friends were all sent home to wait. Off we went to the operating room at about 5:15. After some needle poking, table changing, uncontrollable shaking, tears and laughter you were here and handed over to your daddy about 15 minutes later.
You were weighed and measured and cleaned up and when your daddy brought you over for me to look at, I realized that our lives would forever be changed.
As scary as it was to be operated on, I don't remember ever feeling afraid. My fear and sadness of not having the birth the way we planned it was soon forgotten about when you snuggled up into my chest and fell asleep on my shoulder. That was the greatest moment of my life.
You have now been in our lives for 2 months, and you have fallen asleep on our shoulders a hundred times already. You will fall asleep there many more times in your life. That is where you will cry, sleep, be scared, sad and mad. Right on our shoulders. At 2 hours old, or 20 years old, they will be here for you whenever you need them. And every time you are there, I will remember the day you were born, and that memory will never be forgotten. Your little tiny head on my shoulder, your tiny butt in the palm of my hand, and your tiny arm draped across my shoulder.
And that my little lady bug is the story of how you entered our world and changed it forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment