Monday, March 22, 2010

Great Grandpa

Friday afternoon we had two doctors appointments. One with the nurse (which was a waste of time) and the next was my normal 2 week check up.

Phil and I met with the nurse for about 10 minutes (of what was supposed to be an hour meeting) so between that and my doc check up I had about 40 minutes to spare between appointments. Phil went back to work, and I went to get a muffin and tea next door.

As I was coming back to my appointment I saw my grandpa walking across the hospital parking lot. I parked and then walked as fast as I could to catch up to him. He was standing at the front door holding it open for about 5 people that were making their way in. As I walked up the stairs I waved and he waited for me.

We walked into the lobby together and it ended up that we had appointments back to back with the same doctor. My appointment was at 11, and his was at 11:30. While we waited to be checked in, I asked him if he wanted to come in with me to hear the heartbeat and he couldn't say sure fast enough.

We went in, he flirted with the nurse and talked with the Doctor a little. (he has been going to this doctor for a few years, and I just started seeing him about a year ago) Then the Dr. put the heart monitor on my belly and turned to my grandpa to make sure that he could hear. He held it there for a lot longer than normal to make sure that it was loud enough.

Grandpa smiled so huge and said thanks for letting him be in the room, talked about how great it was to hear it, gave me a kiss and went out to wait for his appointment.

I finished up with the doc, went through a few normal things and then the doctor said "You must be pretty close with your family, huh?" I smiled and said yes and he smiled and told me that it was probably a very proud moment for my grandpa and that it would be a moment not to be forgotten.

When I was leaving the exam room I walked into the lobby where grandpa was waiting for his visit, and there he was still grinning ear to ear. I said goodbye and could hear him telling the strangers around how excited he was that he got to hear his great grandaughers heartbeat. The lady sitting across from him said "You are a very lucky man." and he just nodded and said "yes I am."

It's a good thing I walked out when I did because if I would have seen that giant proud smile one more time I would have lost it.

No comments:

Post a Comment