Monday, November 9, 2009

Ultrasound #1 - least favorite thing so far

As seen in most movies and as told by almost every person I know who has had a child or an ultrasound - this is when you cry and hug, have this romantic moment and realize that - HOLY CRAP, there is a baby in there!?!? I am going to be a mama!!

Well, it doesn't always happen like that.

We went in so excited to see a picture of our little bundle of joy, and went out of there shaking our heads not saying a word until we got outside of the building and Phil broke the silence by saying "well, that is not what I expected". We both laughed a little and went back over what had just happened.
This is my take on it:

When we were checking in we got a life story from the receptionist. Seriously.

We get into the room and the tech made things so uncomfortable. First she kept making funny faces while tilting her head back and forth looking at the screen. Then she would type away on her little computer and she never said a word.

There was one point when Phil said "Wow, that little spot is going to grow into a baby!?!?" and I said "WHERE, what spot? I want to see"... and she did nothing. Just kept typing.

Then we moved on to the "inner" ultrasound. These are already not the most pleasant thing, and she managed to make it worse. She kept saying "Please lift your bottom"..... "Ok, lift your bottom again" ...... "Bottom up again"..... She was just flailing that thing around in there. At one point, I wanted to remind her that I have important organs up there that I need.

So, she finishes her duties, hands us the printed out picture, and says "Here is your pregnancy"

And that was that. Here is your pregnancy??

I later talked to my nurse and told her how odd it all felt. She said that from now on just to speak up and ask her to slow down. She even said that I should stop her and request to see the screen or have her talk us through it next time.

So, needless to say I am looking forward to my next one!

1 comment:

  1. That super sucks that it didn't go how you'd expect. Seriously who says "Here is your pregnancy" she should be slapped in the face.

    But on an I can relate note... I've NEVER had a vaginal ultrasound (yes I said it) where I wasn't constantly told to raise my butt. Seriously the last time I was in that position I was basically not touching the bench at all, just doing a pelvic thrust right there for a good 40 seconds. The good news is as the baby gets bigger you wont have THOSE anymore. :) Hang in there mama!

    ReplyDelete